Hello Laredo Community!
My name is Sandy Fenley and I am the proud principal of Laredo Elementary School, your neighborhood school. Welcome back to the 2018-2019 school year! We are excited to see you and have you back at school. At Laredo, we really value our students, staff, families, and all members of our surrounding community as we work to build a strong foundation for our children. It is crucial that we hear from you and build relationships with you as we do this work.
In the meantime, we wanted to let you know some of the amazing things we have going on at the school. In the 2017-2018 school year, Laredo received performance status, the highest status given in the state, for our students’ outstanding academic growth. Our data heading into this year indicates that we are still growing strong! In addition to our academic achievements, Laredo staff also offers several opportunities for our families to engage, such as:
- Parent Teacher Organization
- Nutrition and cooking classes
- Quarterly Dad breakfasts NEW!
- Grade level Parent days
- The Laredo Color Run
- Taco Tuesday (May)
- Parent Engagement Classes
- Parent Yoga Classes
- Community Engagement Night
- Watch Dogs NEW!
We are looking forward to a productive partnership with you to ensure our children can achieve their highest potential. We recognize that in order to be successful in school, our children need support from both the home and school. Research shows that a strong partnership with you will make a great difference in your child’s education. As partners, we share the responsibility for our children’s success and want you to know that we will do our very best to carry out our responsibilities. We ask that you guide and support your child’s learning by ensuring that he/she:
- Attends school daily and arrives on time, ready for the day’s learning
- Completes all homework assignments
- Reads daily to develop a love for reading and to improve literacy skills
- Shares school experiences with you so that you are aware of his/her school life
- Communicates with the school concerning any additional support your child may need.
- Knows that you expect him/her to succeed in school and go on to college, vocational school, the military, or join the work force.
- Please consider joining our school volunteer program as our students can greatly benefit from your involvement and contributions to the school’s program and its operations. We seek volunteers to help us with the following activities:
- Become an active member of the PTO
- Meet with your child’s teacher; attend parent/teacher conferences
- Volunteering during the school day to support all students
- Attend parent coffee’s
- Attend all performance opportunities for your children
We want to make sure there is clear communication between home and school. Our website, which we hope you find helpful and informative, parent newsletters and calls home are examples of our commitment to make sure you are aware of what is happening at school and with your children.
We are excited to begin the new school year and look forward to developing relationships with you and your children. Together, we can all succeed!